Program Chief Systems Engineer
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Program Chief Systems Engineer
When you join OPCoE (Optical Payload Center of Excellence) you will be part of one of the most innovative and fastest moving organizations in Space. OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members bring together authorities across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group. Within our fast-paced build-test-learn lifecycle designed to meet go-fast program needs, we have an appetite to approach problems differently to enable big missions in small vehicles. If you’re a creative engineer looking to help lead the next generation of missions, we want you to join our team!
As a Program Chief Systems Engineer, you will have a critical role, reporting to the Program Manager to lead the systems engineering efforts and team throughout the program lifecycle to ensure the delivered solution meets mission needs. In this role you will drive trade studies to optimize mission system solutions, working directly with space vehicle and ground segment leadership to manage and allocate requirements, formulate and lead/perform analyses needed for finalization of the architecture and system/subsystem/assembly elements, and the interfaces between those elements. During the production, manufacturing, and AI&T phase of the program, you will lead efforts associated with requirements verification and then provide support to launch operations and on-orbit activation and check-out.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Direction of efforts within your team to establish/manage requirement baselines and allocations throughout the mission system solution; management of the technical baseline throughout the program lifecycle from SRR through launch
• Coordination with other organizations affected by the requirements and design development; identify design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and drive revision and/or improvement recommendations
• Direct support to resolution of payload and spacecraft issues, driving analyses required to trade solutions to technical problems of varying complexity while assuring sound technical content and timely closure
• Development and maintenance of schedules and budgets in support of program milestones and hardware deliveries
• Ensure the customer requirements and CONOPS are satisfied across the mission system solution (system, space and ground segments)
• Lead technical preparation for milestone reviews and internal review boards (e.g. ERB, QRB, FRB, etc.)
• Organize, motivate and lead cross-functional teams, demonstrating in-depth technical skills of systems analysis across multiple design domains
• Work directly and collaboratively with the broad LMS enterprise to tailor the LM standard processes, methods, tools, and metrics as required for Program unique requirements
• Serve as the key interface to your program customer counterpart and provide program leadership during informal and formal programmatic interactions.
• 20% Travel will be required to interface with team and suppliers as needed.
We are looking for someone with an exceptional work ethic and the ability to drive complex technical issues to closure.
Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Leadership experience in Systems Engineering across the program lifecycle within a highly complex organization
• Demonstrable experience in leading systems engineering teams focused on optical payloads
• Experience in formulating requirements and generating supporting program data for system interfaces and dependencies
• Experience on OPIR and/or HEL programs
• Active Top Secret security clearance or equivalent; US citizenship required
• Experience with mission payload integration and interface definition and Space vehicle AI&T efforts
• Experience with:
o Ground mission planning and CONOPS
o Communication subsystem
o GN&C subsystem
• MBSE experience
• Experience with cost account management principles, techniques, and processes
• Class C/D system development and standards familiarity
• Master's degree or higher in Systems Engineering or closely related discipline
• Ability to define and document solutions to complex problems and to convey solutions to both senior management and to other internal/external teams
• Strong process focus with the ability to intelligently apply standard processes to real-world applications
• An ability to thoroughly address responsibilities, with good attention to detail and a proven understanding of documentation methods and requirements.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong social skills, and ability to build consensus among peers while building solid relationships with team members Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday offSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: TS/SCI Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Electro-Optical Engineering Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.