Optical Payload Engineer, Manager
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Optical Payload Engineer, Manager
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you!
OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members integrate experts across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group.
We are looking for an Electro-Optical Engineering Payload Manager to support the Overhead Persistent Infra-Red (OPIR) Next Generation GEO Space Vehicle Contract. You will be part of the Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) and directly support the Mission Payload (MPL) Team IPT responsible for managing the MPL subcontractor teams through build, test, and payload delivery. You will ensure that the MPL team meets program needs and expectations, as well as serve as CAM for the in-house labor of MPL Program Management, Systems Engineering, and Subcontract Management personnel. Part of your role will be dedicated to attracting, developing, and retaining engineering talent to maintain and improve the group's performance. This role requires mentoring, coaching and advising subordinates in their professional development. Leadership and participation in Inclusion events is expected. Travel to the Mission Payload providers may be required.
We are looking for someone with strong written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective communications with customers, suppliers, program management and personnel. You should have demonstrated Full Spectrum Leadership characteristics, the ability to communicate a vision and strategy, and recognized success in establishing a team's technical direction. We will look for you to demonstrate a proven understanding of the design and development of electro-optical systems, as well as the Systems Engineering work products and processes utilized in such development.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
• Leadership experience and team building skills
• Experience presenting management and/or government leadership
• Systems engineering experience for flight hardware
• Experience with technical and programmatic interaction with subcontractors
• Current SCI and DoD Secret clearance
• Experience in the build, integration, and test of electro-optical hardware.
• Previous CAM experience.
• Bachelors in science, engineering, or related degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Active TS/SCI Clearance
• Familiarity with LM command media and Full Spectrum Leadership imperatives
• Proven functional leadership experience of multidisciplinary engineering teams.
• Demonstrated experience in project management (PM, IPT lead, CPE, CSE).
• Experience developing EO instruments/sensors for space or airborne environments.
• EO/Systems/Mechanical engineering experience in optical sensor development, with hands-on experience in delivering hardware / products.
• Ability to provide product development cost and schedule estimating compliant with FAR guidelines
• Design and fabrication of highly engineered (high TRL) systems.
• Strong mentoring skills and experience.
• Experience in identification and pursuit of opportunities for collaboration and internal development.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask complex technical and/or programmatic issues.
• Active TS/SCI clearance Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday offSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: TS/SCI Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Electro-Optical Engineering Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.