Guidance, Navigation & Control Manager
The Guidance Navigation and Control (GNC) engineer at Lockheed Martin will have the opportunity to design, simulate and verify technologies such as missile autopilot, guidance algorithms, inertial target tracking, and Navigation algorithms using Kalman Filters for optimal estimation techniques. They will also have the opportunity to design, simulate and verify precision servo control and pointing algorithms for gimbaled seekers and other sensors as well as various actuators and mechanisms. Modelling and simulation of these systems is performed primarily in Matlab and C++.
- Full Time
- Level: Entry, Mid, Senior
- Travel: Minimal, dependent on role
What does a successful GNC employee at Lockheed Martin look like?
Check out the info below to see if you have what it takes.
- Team player
- Technologically savvy
The work so far has been challenging and varied. Overall, it’s been a great job; The people, environment, and benefits are fantastic on top of the work itself.Tim J.
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on position, we offer a flexible work schedule.
Guidance, Navigation & Control Manager
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to dream big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you!
The Special Programs Remote Sensing Guidance, Navigation, and Control team is made up of enthusiastic and talented individuals that design and produce the hardware, algorithms, and software required to solve the challenging problems of controlling these systems in a harsh, zero-g environment. We seek an equally enthusiastic/ talented leader who can continue guiding this team through the production of the current block of systems and into the future systems. As the GN&C leader, you will have the opportunity to continue developing and shaping this strong team as they complete the current program of record and continue into the development and production of future systems.
This position directly reports to the Central GN&C Senior Manager, is matrixed to the GN&C Senior Manager within the SP LOB, and manages an engineering team. This manager will serve as both the 'Badged To' and 'Deployed To' manager for his/her staff on the program. Thus, the job includes both program technical management duties and functional personnel management tasks.
The position is responsible for performing program technical and leadership tasking from the deployed program management, as well as additional assignments from GN&C Senior Manager as required. The GN&C Manager will lead a group of approximately 15 technical specialists in the Attitude Control Subsystem group within the SP LOB. The manager will be responsible for overall technical direction and management of end-to-end attitude control and navigation , simulation, and performance analysis, as well as product engineering development, test, and integration. The role requires managing verification of key end-to-end performance requirements. The manager is responsible for developing and maintaining an outstanding attitude control analysis group with the depth and breadth of technical expertise needed to perform end-to-end attitude control and analysis, in addition to attitude control actuator and sensor subcontractor development and integration. The manager will represent the company and brief senior management on attitude control and navigation analysis results, issues, and recommendations. The manager is responsible for the planning, scheduling, development, and delivery of GN&C subsystem products and services. The manager will develop and maintain budget baselines, coordinate support with other programs, implement engineering best practices, utilize common integrated processes, and coordinate with other managers. Functionally, you will perform staffing, performance appraisals and mentoring/training.
***THIS POSITION IS CONTNGENT UPON PROGRAM FUNDING PLAN FULFILLED***
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
- Paid time off
- Work/life balance
- Mentorship opportunities
- Rewards & recognition
You can learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package by visiting this link. (https://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/working-here#benefits)
• Applicable experience in GN&C subsystems, analysis, hardware and integration experience, with broad technical skills and development experience throughout a program life cycle and willingness to serve in a challenging "dual-role" program and functional leadership role.
• Requires a BS degree or equivalent experience in an Engineering or Scientific discipline.
• Familiarity with spacecraft GN&C subsystems and systems engineering processes, and experience in applying them as well as a broad knowledge of LM resources, expertise, command media, and operations related to assigned area.
• Position requires domestic travel.
• Either a TS/SCI or a DOD TS with the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI within 30 calendar days
• Minimum eight (8) years of applicable GN&C subsystem , analysis, hardware and integration experience, with broad technical skills and development experience throughout a program life cycle and willingness to serve in a challenging "dual-role" program and functional leadership role.
• Appropriate degree from an accredited college, or equivalent experience/combined education, with professional experience and specialized training commensurate with assignment
• Experience with Remote Sensing Special Programs, its customers, and its current and future technologies
• Demonstrated ability to lead a high-powered engineering team and produce results by successfully prioritizing technical, cost, and schedule objectives and balancing multiple assigned objectives and tasks.
• Familiarity with and operates by Full Spectrum Leadership principles
• Experience in leading a high-powered engineering team.
• Experience with GN&C subsystems and systems engineering processes, and experience in applying them.
• Industry insight and involvement in technical committees, etc.
• Some familiarity with functional Engineering processes,including performance appraisals, promotion planning, employee mentoring,and hiring.
• Familiarity with Certified Principal Engineer responsibilities.
• Strong communication skills including the ability to speak, write, and especially listen, in a manner that clarifies issues, promotes closure, delivers information in a clear and concise manner, and facilitates decision making
• Ability to present complex topics to both senior leadership and technical subject matter experts, and to guide mixed discipline teams to identify the best solution
• Strong organizational skills including long-term planning, delegation, meeting goals and managing priorities
• Can make sound, correct, technical judgments with very little, or uncertain inputs
• Demonstrated expertise with root cause investigation and anomaly resolution, during both production and operational phases
• Experience using MATLAB/Simulink
• Experience with control account management principles, techniques, and processes, ideally as a CAM or SCM
• Experience with GNC hardware Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Telecommute: The work associated with this position will be performed at the designated Lockheed Martin facility. Situational telecommuting may be considered and authorized at the discretion of your leader and based upon the role.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday offSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: TS/SCI w/Poly Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Guidance, Navigation and Control Type: Full-TimeVirtual Location: no Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.