Digital Communications Engineer
Here at Lockheed Martin, our RF Engineers work on a variety of advanced RF applications – those used on the earth, below the earth and above the earth. These range from the world's most advanced fighter aircraft to precision engagement aerospace and defense systems to surface, air and undersea applications to cutting edge space systems. This work encompasses one or more of the following broad RF disciplines: RF Design, RF Systems, Antenna Design, Radar Systems Engineering, RF Signal Processing, MMW/Microwave Design, MMIC Design, Radar Cross-Section Analysis (RCS), Low Observables/Stealth and Electromagnetic Capability/Electromagnetic Interference (EMC/EMI).
Our Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Full Time
- Level: Entry, Mid, Senior
- Travel: Minimal, dependent on role
What does a successful RF Engineering employee at Lockheed Martin look like?
Check out the info below to see if you have what it takes.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day.
From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
You are a great decision maker who strives to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
You embrace collaboration and are committed to the success of your team.
Whatever you know today could be different tomorrow as technology is constantly changing. Strong technical skills and intellectual depth with a willingness to continually learn from others are important traits.
Working in the RF Engineering space means working together to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
“The RF field is very broad. For example, I work with spacecraft antennas, but I have colleagues that work with missiles and aircraft sensor systems. At any given time, my team is working on 10 or more projects, ranging from antennas that support weather forecasting to connecting warfighters across the globe.”Shane L., RF Engineering Sr. Manager
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer a flexible work schedule.
Digital Communications Engineer
Do you have a passion for working on emerging technologies?
LM Space is seeking an experienced Digital Communications Engineer who will serve as Certified Principal Engineer and contribute towards the development and delivery of the Cryptographic, Telemetry, Tracking and Commanding (TT&C) solutions for Space and Missile platforms. TT&C subsystems serve missions ranging from human space flight, commercial broadband services, national intelligence, protected communications (Cryptographic solutions), navigation and more.
The TT&C Comm Engineer emphasizes ‘systems thinking’ throughout the product lifecycle. To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin nurtures an inclusive work environment that inspires diverse perspectives and big-picture thinking.
The TT&C Comm Engineer role is to primarily support the Cryptographic effort within Military Space and occasionally RF or TT&C surge support within RF Center of Excellence. Responsibilities would include:
- Serving as Certified Principal Engineer or Responsible Engineer for Cryptographic solutions, delivery, and certification
- Leading all technical aspects of the internal team and interacting technically with suppliers to design, build, test and deliver various Cryptographic Devices, as well as, TT&C communication and microwave products such as Transmitters and Receivers
- Leading integration and testing of the satellite communications subsystem with various analog and digital modulation schemes and high data rates at L/S-Bands and other military frequency bands
- Collaborating with System Security Domain Experts to effectively incorporate Cryptographic devices into the Comm Subsystem
- Reviewing and dispositioning test data with a keen eye on in-family / out-of-family / out-of-specs / out-of-tolerance results
- Spearheading failure investigation, troubleshooting and resolutions
- Supporting Peer Reviews for Flight Software and modeling Operations
- Supporting Launch and On-Orbit Operations
- Experience with testing digital spacecraft hardware units both at the unit and spacecraft level
- Experience with spacecraft command and telemetry databases relating to spacecraft digital hardware
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Below are some of the benefits you can enjoy at LM Space:
- Competitive Medical & Dental insurance
- 401k with competitive company matching
- Paid time off
- Encouragement of work/life balance
- Flexible work schedule
- Onsite health center / gym (Sunnyvale, CA and Littleton, CO)
- Onsite medical center (Sunnyvale, CA and Littleton, CO)
- Intramural sports activities
- Career development
- Mentorship opportunities
- Rewards & recognition
• Active Secret Clearance prior to start
• Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or related technical discipline
• Proven experience working with subcontractor hardware
• Proven experience with interface specifications including hardware specifications
• Experience with failure root cause analysis, troubleshooting and resolution
• Familiarity with test equipment and hands-on experience testing communication or electronics hardware
• Ability to develop and analyze technical requirements, perform trade studies, and allocate functions down to an T&C subsystem
• Demonstrated understanding of satellite communications including various analog & digital modulation schemes
• Experience with the architecture, development, and delivery of TT&C subsystems and/or components
• Experienced with certifications of Cryptographic hardware
• Certified Principal Engineer, Responsible Engineer, or equivalent experience with Material Review Board (MRB) or Failure Review Board (FRB) certification or equivalent
• Active TS/SCI
• Experienced with deliverables including System Key Management Plan (SKMP)
• Proven experience working with Government organizations to deliver GFE
• Experienced with TEMPEST Characterizations
• Experienced working with Cyber Security documents
• Experience with full product life cycle (e.g. SRR, PDR, CDR, MRR and TRR, etc.)
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with customers, suppliers, management, and peers
• Proven ability to author supplier statements of work and technical sections of customer requests for information (RFIs) or proposals (RFPs), including developing presentations to describe the technical approach in a clear manner
• Knowledgeable experience designing and manufacturing TT&C circuits, taking TT&C test measurements, and/or integrating Cryptographic devices
• Knowledge of end-to-end RF/TT&C link analysis for space-to-ground communication systems, with a deep understanding of associated environments (Thermal, Vibe, Shock, Thermal Vacuum)
• Knowledge of RF Receivers, Transmitters, Frequency Converters, Low Noise Amplifiers (LNAs), and Solid-State Power Amplifiers (SSPAs), associated distortion parameters and their sensitivities to RF/TT&C subsystem performance
• Familiarity with link budgets and associated concepts: EIRP/RIP/PFD, propagation losses vs weather availability, basic antenna trades, etc.
• Proven experience working with subcontractor hardware used to communicate with Satellite Control Network (SCN) Ground Stations or other TT&C Networks Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday offSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: TS/SCI Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: RF Engineering Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.