Solar Physics Research Scientist
Palo Alto, California
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Solar Physics Research Scientist
Palo Alto, California
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our outstanding men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
The Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory (LMSAL) has an immediate opening for a Research Scientist to support existing science missions and develop the next generation of heliophysics instrumentation and missions. Current missions at LMSAL include the recently selected Extreme Ultraviolet Solar Telescope (EUVST), the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO/AIA and HMI), and Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph (IRIS). LMSAL is a department of the Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Center (ATC) in Palo Alto, CA.
The ATC is the research lab for LM Space, and the SS&I directorate within the ATC pursues fundamental space science research and the development of prototype flight instruments and payloads. You will play a key technical role and grow into a leadership role in Heliophysics Science as part of these teams.
Duties include support for design, integration and test of optical instruments (especially for EUV/UV imaging and spectroscopy); verification of optical performance, including calibration; test and verification of image stabilization systems; analysis of system performance, including effects of spacecraft charging, jitter, etc.; planning and conducting environmental and functional testing on instruments and payloads; and support for mission operations including science planning and analysis and monitoring of calibration data/quality. You will also be encouraged to conduct supporting research and/or to seek external funding in order to pursue research commensurate with your training and expertise.
Ideally, we are looking for a colleague with a PhD in heliophysics or a similar scientific field. You should possess excellent scientific skills with experience working with optical systems and flight hardware, and experience with scripting languages such as Python. We particularly seek applicants with familiarity with:
• SolarSoft IDL or SunPy software libraries
• Experience with Zemax or similar optical ray-tracing tools
• Experience in developing and implementing concepts for optical systems
• Experience with UV spectroscopy.
You should also demonstrate strong attention to detail and excellent interpersonal skills. U.S. citizenship or permanent residence status is required. Some domestic and international travel will be required.
Applicants would typically have a PhD and 0 - 5 years of professional experience or a Masters and 3-8 years, but more experienced candidates are also encouraged to apply.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Advanced degree in Heliophysics or related science/engineering field, preferably with application relevant to Heliophysics Science Focus areas; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience with the execution of space science instrument development programs
• US Citizenship or permanent resident status
• 3+ years of proven technical experience
• PhD in Heliophysics, or related science/engineering field
• Emerging leader in the Heliophysics Science technical professional community, based on publications, academic interfaces, and professional contacts, capable of being a Principal Investigator of Co-Investigator on NASA science contracts and/or missions.
• Experience with solar spectrographs, imagers, or analogous instrumentation. Design experience with and mission architectural knowledge of UV and EUV optical instruments.
• Mission experience and good technical familiarity with multiple heliospheric instrumentation or deep familiarity in one such technology demonstrated by publications, on-orbit instruments, and selected missions. Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 4x10 hour day, 3 days off per weekClearance Level: None Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Scientist Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.