Senior Reinforcement Learning/AI Researcher
Palo Alto, California
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Senior Reinforcement Learning/AI Researcher
Palo Alto, California
What is your mission?
As a Senior Research Roboticist, you will support ongoing programs and internal research and development efforts, enabling project advancement and emerging technologies.
What will you be working on?
• Performing scientific experiments, investigations, observations and related research studies
• Developing theories for understanding, characterizing, and organizing natural phenomena into a systematic and significant pattern
• Participating in intellectual property evaluations and development of patent applications
• Instructing and teaching junior level engineers/researchers
We are looking for someone who is excited about developing new research ideas in autonomy and robotics. This role will work on deploying for reinforcement learning, causality, and causal inference. Ideally you will have this experience in a research environment, and have a history of publications supporting your expertise.
You are someone with strong technical writing, presentation and overall communication skills for reports, proposals, technical presentations, and interaction with customers, team members, suppliers, and academic/industry collaborators.
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 5 - 8 years of professional experience, a Masters and 3 - 6 years, or a PhD and 0 - 3 years.
How will Lockheed Martin Space support your mission?
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that supports differences and big-picture thinking. Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually.
Benefits you can enjoy include:
• Paid time off
• 52 three-day weekends (4/10 schedule)
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
• Expert in Reinforcement Learning
• Strong experience utilizing machine learning and other AI methods
• Strong experience evaluating novel technologies, fast prototyping, feasibility studies, specification, and/or implementation of product components
• Experience advancing the state-of-the-art, including (but not limited to) generating patents and/or publications in top journals and conferences
• Experience writing proposals for research grants/programs
• US Citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a government clearance
• Current clearance
• Research Experience in causal modeling, causal inference, and causal graphs
• Established strong relationships with customers from DOD Research Labs, AFRL, DARPA, or NASA Research Centers or similar is a plus
• Expert in the applications of Artificial Intelligence or Autonomous Systems technologies (e.g., Deep Learning, Machine Learning) to sensing, perception, multi-unit planning or command and control of autonomous systems
• Proven mechatronic experience as demonstrated by a strong publication record and development of working system prototypes
• Experience using industrial manipulators like UR, ABB, Kuka or similar
• Experience using Clearpath Robotics or similar
• Experience using DJI Drones or similar
• Complex control of manipulators, high-degree of freedom coordination and advanced mobility technologies experience.
• Experience Implementing augmented and virtual reality technologies for robotic applications
• Experience with filtering, estimation, and tracking (Kalman Filters, Multi-Target Tracking) is a plus
• Experience implementing software for scientific and/or real time image or signal processing applications, computer vision, 3D data processing
• Proficiency in the following programming languages: C++, Python or similar
• Experience with Robot Simulation tools like Gazebo, RVIZ or similar
• Experience using Matlab and Simulink
• Experience with COTS sensing modalities, RF, SAR, LIDAR/LADAR, Radar, Computer Vision, Vibration and fusing modalities for perception and inferencing.
• Knowledge of sensing, planning and algorithms related to Autonomous Rendezvous, Proximity Operations and Docking
• Experience with Real-time processing systems, FPGAs, microcontrollers, measurement and acquisition hardware
• Experience with, and knowledge of Systems Engineering aspects of requirements decomposition, testing and Verification and Validation, at the systems level is a plus Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 4x10 hour day, 3 days off per weekSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: Top Secret Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: YesCareer Area: Artificial Intelligence Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.