Program Support & Characterization Research and Development Manager
Palo Alto, California
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Program Support & Characterization Research and Development Manager
Palo Alto, California
To uphold safety for all employees, we will continue to request vaccination status for all Lockheed Martin employees including new hires. All current and newly hired employees who are unvaccinated will be required to adhere to onsite safety protocols.
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing people are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you!
The Advanced Technology Center (ATC) is the research lab for Lockheed Martin Space. Through our own skills and those of our partners—including universities and research labs around the world—we’re able to put vision in motion. While we are a part of LM's space division, our technologies are far-reaching across domains. ATC’s story is written in the success of missions here on Earth and far, far into space. Our innovation extends beyond incremental change. We strive for first-of-a-kind capability with enduring impact. Whatever the application, our charter is to create game-changing technologies. At the ATC, we’re inspiring change in our endless pursuit of what’s next.
We are looking for a Program Support and Characterization Research and Development Manager who will lead a team dedicated to developing innovative solutions and technology to support current and future LM Space programs. You should be familiar with materials characterization, failure analysis and working in a laboratory setting. You must have an enterprising spirit and the ability to forge enduring relationships with internal customers while balancing management and technical responsibilities. You will be responsible for the successful management of multiple program efforts on cost and schedule, while leading 10-15 experienced professional technologists, engineers, and scientists. In order to execute successfully, you will also work with cross-functional teams that span geographies and reporting structures. As a result of this geographic diversity, travel to domestic locations is expected.
We are looking for someone who can communicate effectively, developing concise and professional technical presentation materials for peers, management, and customers. You should have demonstrated interpersonal and written communication skills.
It is expected that you will balance functional management tasks, i.e. department and personnel management, while completing direct technical work including technology development & transition, and program management including new business development.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant scientific/engineering field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience working in a laboratory setting
• Program management or cost and schedule responsibility/experience
• Demonstrated leadership in resolving technical challenges
• Demonstrated ability to lead a broad-based technical group, with a focus on a collaborative environment
• Experience working in geographically diverse teams
• US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance
• Experience developing flight-qualified and space-qualified hardware, materials or processes
• Experience in the analysis, design, and development of materials and processes
• Experience in materials characterization (SEM, mechanical, x-ray, environmental, etc)
• Experience in production, failure mode evaluation and analysis, and root cause analysis
• Demonstrated ability to interact with customers, scientists, engineers, program management and leadership to foster a collaborative research environment
• Demonstrated ability to manage scientific and engineering personnel including work assignments, performance evaluations and promotions
• Program management and CAM experience
• Active TS/SCI clearance Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 4x10 hour day, 3 days off per weekSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: TS/SCI Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Materials Engineering Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.