Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering Intern, Pax River
NAS Pax River, Maryland
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering Intern, Pax River
NAS Pax River, Maryland
The structures/dynamics FTE plans, conducts, manages and reports on helicopter flight tests with respect to structures and dynamics. Responsibilities include initial envelope expansion and development tests, flight loads/strain and vibration surveys, dynamic stability tests and structural oversight of tests performed by other disciplines.
The powerplants flight test engineer (FTE) plans, conducts, manages and reports on powerplant and related propulsion systems helicopter ground and flight tests. These tests include thermal surveys, fire extinguishing and suppression system evaluations, determination of installed engine power, inlet and exhaust surveys, and characterization of engine-airframe compatibility together with FADEC-based control systems, fuel systems, environmental control systems, and icing evaluations.
The flight controls and handling qualities (FC&HQ) associate engineer is involved in the planning, conducting, managing, and reporting FC&HQ flight tests. The FC&HQ associate engineer works closely with senior flight test engineers to become familiar with the flight control system hardware components and software, instrumentation, data processing tools, and flight test procedures to identify problems on the test aircraft and troubleshoot the issue.
Test planning function involves determining measurement and flight condition requirements necessary to safely provide evaluation, qualification and certification data. These details are written into published test plans.
Test conduct involves briefing flight and ground crews and real-time telemetry monitoring of critical parameters. Large volumes of gathered flight data are processed, analyzed, and reported. These results are written into published test reports.
These positions also involves significant teamwork and coordination with flight test co-workers in a variety of disciplines (pilots, mechanics, inspectors, instrumentation, and data technicians), qualification or certification authority representatives and subject matter expert design engineers.
Pursuing a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline. Entry level.
Key skills and knowledge required are:
• analytical thinking and problem solving
• communication--written and oral
• general aviation knowledge
• technical writing
• computer skills: Microsoft Office applications
Good interpersonal skills are imperative.
Personal flexibility is required to support unusual working hours.
Work is being performed at the customer's facility in Patuxent River, MD. While working at Pax River, Sikorsky employees must follow operating procedures as established by the customer which include:
• Must be a US citizen.
• Must currently have and/or be capable of obtaining a security clearance to at least the secret level.
• Must currently have or be capable of successfully completing an NCIC criminal background check to access Pax NAS.
• Must currently have or be capable of obtaining full unescorted access Pax NAS.
• Must have a valid photo ID (driver's license + social security card or birth certificate OR US passport).
• Must have valid driver's license/vehicle insurance to drive on base at Pax NAS.
• Aircraft maintenance or pilot experience is a plus.
• Relevant internship or extracurricular activities are a plus.
• Flight testing experience
• Computer skills: Python and/or Matlab/Simulink Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: The work associated with this position will be performed at the designated Lockheed Martin facility. Situational telecommuting may be considered and authorized at the discretion of your leader and based upon the role.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 4x10 hour day, 3 days off per weekClearance Level: None Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Co-op/Summer InternBusiness Unit: RMSRelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Aeronautical Engineering Type: Part-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.