Mechanical Engineer Staff
Liverpool, New York
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Mechanical Engineer Staff
Liverpool, New York
To uphold safety for all employees, we will continue to request vaccination status for all Lockheed Martin employees including new hires. All current and newly hired employees who are unvaccinated will be required to adhere to onsite safety protocols.
Description:Lockheed Martin located in Syracuse, NY is in search of an experienced and motivated mechanical engineer for a technical lead role within the submarine communications and torpedoes business area. The candidate will perform and direct multi-functional technical development activity in coordination with program and engineering management. This activity may include but not be limited to new design, research, analysis, small team leadership with review and approval of the team’s technical work, hands-on build and test of equipment, internal/external customer interfacing, and support to bid and schedule activities. Prior experience working within the defense, naval, and/or maritime industries is a major plus. The position will also require the individual to hold a significant contributing role within the mechanical engineering organization with responsibilities including, peer reviews, design reviews, failure reviews (DFMEA,FRB), DFX discussions, and other support activities across the Syracuse mechanical engineering product areas. The candidate will need to achieve long term goals as the responsible engineer with limited oversight by management while providing mentoring and guidance to the junior engineering staff.
- Lead a multi-functional product team to develop new submarine-installed hardware.
- Develop, understand and present technical concepts regarding product design and performance.
- Interface with Systems Engineering to develop/define/implement customer requirements.
- Provide design oversight of mechanical components and electromechanical assemblies.
- Perform functional analysis, evaluation, and optimization of product designs.
- Directly design and analyze components and electro-mechanical assemblies
- Provide insight to manufacturing related matters.
- Perform and oversee design verification efforts.
- Contribute to cost/benefit trade-off analysis and feasibility studies.
- Mechanical related failure analysis of hardware.
- Create and maintain mechanical solid models and sketches using Creo.
- Manage bills of material (BOM) within LM’s Enterprise Product Data Management (EPDM) system.
- Maintain communications with program management regarding project progress and roadblocks.
- Support product lifecycle management from concept through implementation.
- Support mentoring and engineering staff development.
• US Citizen
• Significant product development background demonstrating a strong engineering aptitude and good problem-solving skills.
• Broad experience and knowledge across the mechanical engineering discipline.
• A demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership within a development environment.
• Ability to understand finite element analysis and apply it to a real-world situation.
• Proficient in the use of industry standard mechanical engineering tools (Creo, EPDM, SolidWorks, Ansys, Abaqus, etc.)
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in a mechanical engineering or related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with a minimum of 9-12 years of professional experience.
• Ability to travel up to 10%, both international and domestic.
• Prior DoD industry experience
• Experience developing hardware for Naval and undersea applications
• Familiarity with Mil Standards, ruggedized equipment design and environmental test requirements
• Structural dynamics (shock/vibration) design and analysis (FEA)
• Thermal design and analysis, including computational fluid dynamics (CFD) experience
• Knowledge of materials and corrosion control
• Electronics packaging and cabling
• Geometric Design and Tolerancing (GD&T) knowledge
• Experience with design for manufacturing
• Experience with additive manufacturing processes and design criteria
• Hands-on troubleshooting and field engineering Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 4x10 hour day, 3 days off per weekSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: Secret Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: RMSRelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Mechanical Engineering Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.