Staff Systems Engineer
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Staff Systems Engineer
The Big Data Modernization program is seeking a Systems Engineer to help deliver the platform and capabilities to store, manage, and retrieve large, complex data sets for a variety of programs. This effort is enabling broader access to user-facing analytics applications that provide technical insight and competitive advantage to programs across Lockheed Martin Space.
As a Systems Engineer with the Big Data Modernization program you will provide technical advice and guidance on installation, adaptation, configuration, and enhancement of the Space Big Data Platform, and enabled applications. In this role, you will serve as equal parts technologist and evangelist – capable of both communicating the value proposition of big data processing, as well as possessing the experience and knowledge necessary to deliver solutions that make the art of the possible a reality. Your responsibilities will include engaging with end users to understand program-specific requirements, helping to define the technical solution from data sourcing to end user consumption, and working with a software development team to meet customer requirements.
This position requires a self-motivated individual with a hands-on entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to work in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment. Limited travel (25% or less) is required for this role. U.S. Citizenship required. Ability and willingness to obtain a TS/SCI clearance is required (not required to start). Work location will be a combination of remote and on-site.
As a Systems Engineer on the Big Data Modernization program, you will:
• Integrate into a small, high-performing, Integrated Product Team consisting of software engineers, platform engineers, and data engineers.
• Operate with considerable autonomy in support of larger team goals, to include defining and optimizing the systems engineering techniques and practices used within the team.
• Define, exercise, and refine, the general process that will be the basis for transitioning programs from the legacy big data platform to the Space Big Data Platform.
• Gather and organize program-specific requirements, and work with these programs throughout the migration to the new system
• Work with Line of Business (LOB) liaisons to communicate program capabilities and limitations, and to understand upcoming LOB needs.
• Provide expertise for resolving technical problems, troubleshoot products, and work with a software development team to meet customer requirements.
• Develop and update system sustainment plans, to include disaster recovery planning, service level support, configuration management, system scaling plans, system monitoring, etc.
• Work with the Project Engineer, Solutions Architect and Program Manager to refine the program schedule as delays and challenges arise
• Develop acceptance criteria and acceptance test plans for capability delivery to operational programs
• Contribute to risk identification and management
• Perform basic security engineering, and work with security engineers to ensure the platform and applications meet all program security requirements
• Help educate internal and external stakeholders on how to access the data and incorporate it into their business rhythms.
• Relentlessly pursue continuous improvement, emphasize outcomes over metrics, and be a good teammate
• Experience working with stakeholders to develop complex system requirements, developing systems engineering work products, and integrating complex systems
• Familiarity with TCP/IP networking protocols, and interactions between Ethernet, IP, and Software/Applications
• Strong interpersonal skills, and effective written and oral communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated dedication to personal and corporate perfection, ethical behavior and integrity
• Ability and willingness to obtain a TS/SCI security clearance
• Experience developing clear, concise test procedures supporting user acceptance testing, performance validation, and risk reduction
• Background in IT Systems Architecture
• Understanding of DoDAF architectures and industry IT architecture frameworks
• DoD Cybersecurity certification or Security+ Certification
• Experience with satellite ground systems
• Software Development Lifecycle experience, including Agile software development experience
• Experience with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, or working in a DevOps environment
• Experience with creating or executing sustainment plans for large IT systems
• Familiarity with Model-based Systems Engineering
• Current TS/SCI security clearance Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 4x10 hour day, 3 days off per weekSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: TS/SCI Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Systems Engineering: Software Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.