Optical Payload Architect, Senior Staff
Littleton, Colorado; Louisville, Colorado; Sunnyvale, California
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Optical Payload Architect, Senior Staff
Littleton, Colorado; Louisville, Colorado; Sunnyvale, California
Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration? Do you like seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then you should join Lockheed Martin Space’s Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for space applications as OPCoE Engineering Principle/ Sr Staff.
OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems.
The Payload Architect position is the senior technical leader in the systems engineering organization for both payload solution development as well as guiding and overseeing implementation of the technical solutions through the program lifecycles to assure they satisfy the mission requirements at delivery. This role works very closely with both the program/payload CSEs as well as the system architect and the chief engineers organization as part of the overall program leadership team responsible for delivering a responsive, innovative and cost effective solution for Lockheed Martin’s customers. You will work across in various technologies including imaging systems (EO and IR), active systems (Laser comm, LADAR/Lidar), and advanced optical sensing technologies such as hyperspectral, hyper-temporal, and others. You will work closely with engineers, managers and leaders within the LOBs. This is a highly collaborative technical role where effective communication skills are critical for overall success both individually and for the program.
At Lockheed Martin, the role of Payload Architect includes the following responsibilities:
• Own the payload‐level architecture which includes the following:
• Develop, communicate, and ensure implementation of the architecture vision across the full program lifecycle;
• Development and support of program stakeholder needs analysis (e.g., concept of operations, mission needs, operational user community needs; architecture analysis, key requirements definition and allocation; architectural drivers, interface definition, validates requirements);
• Development of data products/artifacts related to the payload architecture (e.g. trade study summaries, analysis results, etc.);
• Development of key payload and system-level performance measures;
• Development of models and architectural guidelines for current and future payload development;
• Ensure the requirements that drive the payload design are consistent, complete, accurate, and operationally defined;
• Conduct payload architecture analyses (e.g., modeling & simulation, performance analysis, quantitative methods);
• As the program progresses, monitor changes in stakeholder needs and evaluate impact on the architecture; evaluates the impacts of architecture changes to stakeholder needs;
• Initiate technology management tradeoffs (e.g., IR&D, technology insertion/infusion/ obsolescence);
• Planning and support for architecture verification and validation.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optics, Physics or equivalent work related experience.
• Greater than 5 years experience with project, program, IRAD and proposal leadership
• Demonstrated experience working across technology areas and disciplines
• Experience with both project/program management as well as proposals/pursuits
• A strong background in optical payload engineering with significant experience in optical payloads
• Proven track record in working with cross functional teams across multiple business units
• Active TS/SCI clearance
• Hands-on technical experience across a wide variety of areas including optical design, electronics, image / signal processing, and / or opto-mechanical assemblies and mechanisms
• A proven track record of successful technical / strategic leadership of pursuits with US government contracts in the aerospace or related fields
• Excellent communications skills, verbal and written, with technical and executive audiences
• Proven project management experience to lead team and drive requirements for new products
• Experience collaborating with key stakeholders and managing by influence in the organization to drive consistency in technical direction
• Ability to make recommendations on product designs, strongly influence product costs, and capital investments.
• Ability to lead technical discussions and presentations for internal and external customers, including design reviews, non-advocate reviews and technical coordination meetings
• Thorough knowledge of product applications, product design techniques, engineering processes, and engineering standards
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Below are some of the benefits you can enjoy at LM Space:
• Competitive Medical & Dental insurance
• 401k with competitive company matching
• Paid time off
• Encouragement of work/life balance
• Flexible work schedule
• Onsite health center/gym (Sunnyvale, CA and Littleton, CO)
• Onsite medical center (Sunnyvale, CA and Littleton, CO)
• Intramural sports activities
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
As a federal contractor, Lockheed Martin is required to provide the candidate an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Lockheed Martin. Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday offSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: TS/SCI Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Electro-Optical Engineering Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.