FBM Principal System Architect
Description:The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
For over 60 years, the Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) team has supported the Navy’s mission to provide affordable and credible strategic defense. We offer unique career opportunities and challenges on a program with a rich history and exciting future. We help keep this nation and our allies secure. The FBM Program is experiencing significant growth, and we need the expertise to deliver amazing new technologies to our customers while maintaining the technical requirements of the strategic deterrence.
Learn about the Trident II D5 Fleet Ballistic Missile.
As a Principal Systems Architect for FBM you will directly help establish the technical solution and overall system design for one of our country's most vital and complex Missile Systems.
In this role you will:
• Use your ingenuity and technical expertise to shape the future for FBM programs, test flights, experimental flights, and integrate technology into the strategic weapons system
• Ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions
• Develop new concepts, theories, and products to meet continually evolving needs for our nation’s defense
• Establish system architecture and CONOPS, perform system trades and analysis, flow down the architecture and CONOPS into requirements and interfaces, and support verification planning
• Mentor, guide and support the development of the Architecture and Modeling Team to be an incubator for aspiring Systems Architects
• Use your excellent communication skills to work across the Lockheed Martin organization while serving as the top consultant to management and customer/user community to ensure consensus and understanding of solutions
Successful candidates typically have 20+ years of professional experience.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s comprehensive benefits package.
• Extensive experience working on a missile system program or comparably complex system architecture
• Demonstrated decision making skills and follow-through. Able to identify and resolve issues uncovered through the design process.
• Minimum, qualified level as a certified system architect or on a path to qualification (see Desired Skills below)
• Expert level at multiple Systems Engineering functions, such as:
a) System Architecture development of complex systems and CONOPS development
b) System Trade studies and/or System modeling
c) Requirements and Interface Control Document (ICD) development
d) System Integration, Test and/or Verification
e) Design reviews, milestone reviews such as SRR, CDR and PDR
f) Demonstrated understanding of the full lifecycle management of a complex system with a multi-decade logistics tail
• Strong team collaboration, communication and presentation skills
• Active Top Secret clearance
• 20+ years of experience with FBM and the Navy customer, or another related Program
• Experience working through the full lifecycle phases of a Missile development
• Nuclear Weapons delivery system design, and Nuclear Weapons handling experience
• Experience applying Lockheed Martin Systems Architecture methodology (DoDAF) and Systems Engineering processes related to this position
• Master's Degree in Systems Engineering or applicable discipline, INCOSE Certification, or relevant Graduate Certificate
• Proficiency in the following engineering tools: (SysML/Cameo Magic Draw, DOORS, MATLAB, Architecture Framework such as DoDAF)
• Missile system design and test experience with one or more subsystems or disciplines outside of Systems Engineering
• Demonstrated behaviors of a Systems of System thinker; who selects and applies appropriate System of Systems thinking skills to solve very complex problems and implement constructive change
• Ability to lead multi-functional teams and lead multiple teams to communicate and coordinate work as one team with common goals
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong social skills, and ability to build consensus among peers while building solid relationships with team members, leadership, and customers
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, synergetic team environment
• Extensive experience working on a missile system program or comparably complex system architecture: 15 years or more
• 20 years of experience with a related bachelors, 18 years of experience with a related Master's degree, or 15 years with a related PhD.
Security Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.
Clearance Level: Top Secret
Other Important Information You Should Know
Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.
Ability to Work Remotely: Part-time Remote Telework: The employee selected for this position will work part of their work schedule remotely and part of their work schedule at a designated Lockheed Martin facility. The specific weekly schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.
Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.
Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday off
The annual base salary range for this position in California and New York (excluding most major metropolitan areas), Colorado, or Washington is $153,200 - $293,600 . Please note that the salary information is a general guideline only. Lockheed Martin considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/ training, key skills as well as market and business considerations when extending an offer.
Benefits offered: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, 401(k) match, Flexible Spending Accounts, EAP, Education Assistance, Parental Leave, Paid time off, and Holidays.
(Washington state applicants only) Non-represented full-time employees: accrue at least 10 hours per month of Paid Time Off (PTO) to be used for incidental absences and other reasons; receive at least 90 hours for holidays. Represented full time employees accrue 6.67 hours of Vacation per month; accrue up to 52 hours of sick leave annually; receive at least 96 hours for holidays. PTO, Vacation, sick leave, and holiday hours are prorated based on start date during the calendar year.
This position is incentive plan eligible.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
The application window will close in 90 days; applicants are encouraged to apply within 5 - 30 days of the requisition posting date in order to receive optimal consideration.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Business Unit: SPACE
Relocation Available: Possible
Career Area: Systems Architect
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.