Composites Materials & Process Engineer
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
At Lockheed Martin, we apply our passion for purposeful innovation to keep people safe and solve the world's most complex challenges.
Mission-Focused Innovation: From aerospace to outer space to cyber space, you can solve the world's most complex challenges for our customers.
Foundational Values: Our culture of performance excellence, ethics, teamwork and inclusion is embedded in everything we do.
Diverse Career Opportunities with Meaningful Work: Grow your career and skills for life. Our technology-driven learning platforms and programs enable your development and agility.
Your Health, Your Wealth, Your Life: Our flexible schedules, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits enable you to live a healthy, fulfilling life at and outside of work.
Empowered to Be Your Best: Use your strengths to make a difference in the lives of one another, our customers, our communities and our planet.
Commitment to Sustainability: We foster innovation, integrity and security to preserve the environment, strengthen diverse communities and propel growth.
Here, the possibilities are endless because we offer:
- Flexible Schedules, dependent on role
- Levels: Student, Entry, Mid, Senior, Management
- Locations: Nationwide & OCONUS Positions
See what it takes to be a successful Lockheed Martin employee.
There is no innovation without imagination. You bring new, different and exciting ideas to the table every day. You are committed to the success of your team.
The ability to explore and drive new ideas. You think innovatively to come up with creative solutions to complex challenges.
From planning and organizing to decision making, goal orientation produces impactful results. You set goals and strive to make things happen quickly and efficiently.
The ability to anticipate, plan and prepare for what lies ahead. You act rather than react to potential situations.
You work to tackle tough problems with complex solutions.
You observe, reflect and analyze processes to make more informed decisions.
“Before I came to Lockheed Martin, I never thought I’d get these opportunities. The benefits available and the company’s value culture make it an incredibly supportive place to work, and I’m grateful to work somewhere that wants me to succeed. I hope to have a long career here making an impact, and I know I’ll be supported in doing that every step of the way.”Ryan J., Enterprise Operations
Medical, Dental and Vision coverage is available for employees who opt-in.
Our 401(k) plan features generous matching and company contributions.
We support our employees through mentoring, internal & external educational programs, networking, skills enhancement and career-building programs.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Our generous parental leave policies support your journey into parenthood. When you return to work, our facilities offer mother's rooms to support your transition and work/life balance.
Paid Time Off
We offer PTO, paid holidays and paid time off for jury duty and military obligations.
Depending on the position, we offer flexible work schedules.
Composites Materials & Process Engineer
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
To uphold safety for all employees, we will continue to request vaccination status for all Lockheed Martin employees including new hires. All current and newly hired employees who are unvaccinated will be required to adhere to onsite safety protocols.
Description:Are you ready to take your career to a new level and work at an extraordinary company?
The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world every single day. Join this highly innovative team providing ingenious solutions to complex technical problems facing the aerospace industry. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus. If you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
As a Materials and Processes Engineer you’ll work on a broad range of projects, in both a laboratory and manufacturing environment, that will challenge you to learn and grow in your career. Working side by side with designers, test and manufacturing engineers, you’ll use your education, experience and growing expertise to develop and evaluate new and innovative technology to survive in the most hostile of environments.
In this role you will:
• Build upon existing composites experience to over time become an industry expert in the areas of high temperature carbon and ceramic fiber-reinforced composite systems
• Become a project leader able to interact and provide technical oversight with vendors, team members, and our U.S. Air Force Customer.
• Select Parts, Materials, and Processes (PMP) on new designs that will help defend our country
• Lead Materials and Processes (M&P) technical engineering assignments
• Troubleshoot problems and find innovative solutions
• Participate in the selection, qualification, testing, and failure analysis of materials & processes, prepare technical and progress reports on assigned tasks, prepare specifications, evaluate suppliers and analyze test reports
• Coordinate with other disciplines such as Design Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality Engineering, and Procurement.
Typically looking for 14 to 19 years of professional experience
We're looking for:
• A self-starter who develops solutions to technical issues
• A motivated individual who's able to work closely within a geographically diverse team to resolve technical issues
• Someone with the ability to handle shifting priorities, multiple projects and timeline pressure to meet deadlines
• Someone comfortable with communicating in a variety of forums
• Someone willing to mentor and guide junior engineers
• Technical leadership of small teams or projects
• Proven ability to communicate key project information or recommendations to Program management and /or Customers
• Ability to travel 25% of time once role is established
If selected you will need to obtain a DOD security clearance. US Citizenship required.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
- Paid time off
- Work/life balance
- Career development
- Mentorship opportunities
- Rewards and Recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package. https://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/working-here#benefits
• Materials or process related background and/or field of study
• Experience and knowledge of fiber reinforced polymer and ceramic matrix composite manufacturing and testing.
• Experience leading projects and teams to successful outcomes.
• Understanding of material properties definitions
• Good writing, communication and interpersonal skills
This position requires the ability to obtain a DOD security clearance. US Citizenship required.
• Experience establishing and implementing technical requirements (specifications, program plans/requirements, etc.)
• Knowledge of Materials and Processes for product development, improvement, design, application and production
• Experience reviewing engineering drawings and/or specifications and providing guidance to design, stress, and manufacturing engineers
• Non-conformance and failure analysis disposition experience
• Understanding of failure mechanisms of fiber reinforced ceramic matrix composites.
• Knowledge and experience (can be indirect) with finite element modeling approaches involving fiber-reinforced ceramic matrix composites.
• Understanding of atmospheric re-entry conditions and thermal protection systems on spacecraft and re-entry vehicles.
• Awareness of other high temperature materials involving ceramics and metals. Other Important Information You Should Know Expression of Interest: By applying to this job, you are expressing interest in this position and could be considered for other career opportunities where similar skills and requirements have been identified as a match. Should this match be identified you may be contacted for this and future openings.Ability to Work Remotely: Onsite Full-time: The work associated with this position will be performed onsite at a designated Lockheed Martin facility.Work Schedules: Lockheed Martin supports a variety of alternate work schedules that provide additional flexibility to our employees. Schedules range from standard 40 hours over a five day work week while others may be condensed. These condensed schedules provide employees with additional time away from the office and are in addition to our Paid Time off benefits.Schedule for this Position: 9x80 every other Friday offSecurity Clearance Statement: This position requires a government security clearance, you must be a US Citizen for consideration.Clearance Level: Top Secret Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.Experience Level: Experienced ProfessionalBusiness Unit: SPACERelocation Available: PossibleCareer Area: Materials Engineering Type: Full-Time Shift: First
Together, Let's Change The World For The Better.
From green energy to aerospace, there are so many ways you can make a difference with us.